Tuesday 1 April 2008

Outdoor Educational Challenge!

Yesterday (Monday 31st) I had to drop Louise off at school with her 'kit' for her 'Outdoor Educational Challenge trip'! (Camp to you and I!). A few days with her school friends tramping in the bush...



The strange clothes are.... polyprop (thermals!) leggings, boardshorts, Polyprop top, tee-shirt and wooly hat!



Once she's back I'll update here the activies they did!

Hello, Louise here...

On the 1st day of camp me and my classmates took the coach from school to the "Kaweka Ranges"...a.k.a The Campsite, we then went on a 5 and a half hour walk through native forests to our first campiste. After we ate dinner, we built "bivouacs" which is basically a tent made of tarpaulin and string. We then played a few games before heading to our cold (but dry) bivouacs.

On the 2nd day we were put into groups of 5 or 6 for "river crossing challenges" this involved linking onto each other to cross rivers ranging from different heights, e.g from ankle height to just above waist height. The river was EXTREMELY cold and in some places the current was quite strong. After that, we had lunch and then prepared ourselves for rafting down to our next campsite. Even though I fell out of my raft a couple of times and got absoloutely SOAKING, it was really fun because I had a good laugh with all my mates...The 2nd night wasnt too bad because all the girls slept in the same tent and was bigger so we stayed up most of the night chatting...

On the last day after having breakfast, we walked for about 10 minutes until we got to a bridge, we then climbed down a hill to the bottom of the bridge and were pulled up one by one on a rope, we were safely secured by "Clippy Thingys" (this is what the instructor told us). It was really fun because being high up and seeing how small everyone looked on the ground was quite funny, and even my teacher went up!. After that, we got on the coach and headed back to school for 2:30 pm.

Overall, I really enjoyed camp because it was a really good experience, plus, the whole class got on really well and it was a good chance to hang out with my friends outside of school.

No comments: